A few days ago, my husband organised a series of events in aid of the Stroke Association. One of the events was a bake sale.
As it was summer, and the middle of a heatwave, I didn’t really want to spend hours in the kitchen with a hot oven. I also wanted something which had a fresh, summery feel to it. The added challenge of the Forever Nigella theme for July being ‘Party Party’ gave me more inspiration. This month it is hosted by A Kick at the Pantry Door.
I had spotted Nigella’s recipe for Cherry Cheesecake while watching the TV programme, and had like it, as it is not a baked cheesecake. I do love baked cheesecake, but this one was quicker and simpler. Also, no cooking involved!
As it was for a bake sale, I decided to miniturise the cheesecake into cupcake sizes, and give it a summery twist by using summer fruits and lemon. I had to fiddle around with the quantities of the cheesecake mixture quite a bit – unlike cupcakes, a cheesecake recipe doesn’t divide neatly into 12!
- 150g digestive biscuits
- 75g butter
- 400g cream cheese
- 60g icing sugar
- 1 lemon
- 300ml double cream
- Fruit to decorate
- Apricot glaze
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whizz the biscuits in a food processor until they are crumbs. Add the melted butter and whizz again.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the cases and refrigerate.
- In a clean bowl, beat the cream cheese. Sieve in the icing sugar and the zest and juice from the lemon. Mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whip the double cream until it is thick and fairly stiff. Fold this into the cream cheese mixture.
- Put the cream cheese mixture into a piping bag and pipe the filling on top of the base (you don’t have to pipe it; I just found it easier).
- Chill again. When the filling is firm, top with your choice of fruit.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of apricot glaze in a saucepan. When boiling, paint the glaze on top of the cheesecakes.
- Chill until serving.
Although I didn’t do these for a party, I think they would work brilliantly.
If anyone knows how I can insert photos without the numbering re-starting, I would be grateful if you could let me know in the comments! Thank you!