This is a really nice side dish or as the main part of a vegetarian meal. We had it with some stuffed chapatis and an onion and tomato curry. It happily sat cooking away this afternoon and the rice was perfectly cooked when we came to eat (which ended up being half an hour later than planned – the joy of the slow cooker).
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 250g basmati rice
- 1/2 a tsp each of garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder and turmeric
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 200g sweetcorn
- 3 handfuls spinach
- Dice the onion, carrot and celery and finely slice the garlic. Saute in vegetable oil in a frying pan for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the rice to the frying pan and stir round.
- Add the spices, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Transfer the rice into the slow cooker. Add the stock and sweetcorn.
- Cook on High for 2 hours.
- Add the spinach on the top of the rice. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Stir well and serve.