In his short life, Ben has had 3 horrible colds. Here are some of my tips and tricks for helping your baby with his cold.
During the daytime
- Offer feeds more frequently than usual, and offer more water if you offer water. Your baby may be thirstier than normal.
- Keep a close eye out for tiredness signals. I find that Ben often naps more often or for longer when he has a cold.
- As much as possible, keep your baby away from other babies. You might want to socialise, but you don’t want your baby to pick up something else as well as his cold.
- Keep him warm and well wrapped up if you go outside.
- Find a soft cloth to wipe his nose. Babies hate having their noses wiped, so use any distractions you can.
- Use saline nasal drops to loosen any dried mucus.
- Place books or something similar under the feet of his cot to help raise his head.
- Place a folded towel beneath his mattress to raise his head.
- Use a Vaporiser.
- Use a vapour rub. I like Snufflebabe as you can use it from 2 months. It is weirdly effective if you rub it on their feet after their bath.
- Use a decongestant oil like Olbas for Children. I put a couple of drops on the corners of Ben’s sheet, but he doesn’t roll around in his sleep yet.
- Don’t do any sleep training until he or she is better.
Hopefully your little one will be better soon.